What's all this about?
Armed with a team of barbeque and
automotive experts and a 1989 Saab 900
purchased for $400, Team Carbeque is a
unique racing team determined complete the 24 hours
of LeMons... all while making barbeque under the hood.
Find out more: >> Click here to read our mission statement
Posted by The Adams on July 14, 2013, 7:25 pm CST
And yet another weekend of unconventional problem solving has concluded thanks to the 24 Hours of LeMons. When the Q hit the wall at Summit Point, the front of the car bent over to the left about six inches, skewing the alignment of the headlights, grill, hood, and more importantly, the front engine mount causing the engine to actually move position in the engine bay. This was causing the shift linkage to bend, and get hung up on the firewall and power steering rack. There was only one solution, to bend it back. The Adams headed out this morning to a remote section of Waukegan looking for a bobcat to slap The Carbeque around with for an hour or so. Well, we didn't find a bobcat, but we did find a dumptruck. We decided this would work and with the help of Max from C&M Interior Demolition, the car was chained up and prepared for some abuse.
Max put the truck in reverse, and with a few solid jabs the front end realigned. Well, mostly, but good enough for us anyway, now on to the tricky part. The front of the car had to come down a slight bit to lever the rear of the engine up. That way, the transmission shift linkage wouldn't be all messed up and misaligned. Looking around, some huge chunks of wood were procured and we went with the sketchy and dangerous option first. It seems to be working for us. The car was jacked up and some stands were put underneath the frame members to provide a levering force, and we proceded to drive the dumptruck onto the front of The Carbeque to pull the front down.
(cool an airplane!)
The frame of the car took a lot more weight than we planned on (and luckily didnt snap off), but the dumptruck still managed to move the front of the car just enough to get reverse back. On the way home, as what usually happens, a disturbing vibration started up and began to get stronger. Upon further inspection, it was noted that the right-hand engine mount was more or less destroyed, probably causing the shift linkage issues and *hopefully* the vibration due to the engine freeing up off the bound bracket when the frame untwisted. If the vibration wasn't caused by the toasted engine mount then we probably somehow blew another transmission. Yay.
Also accomplished this weekend, the destroyed splitter (background) was replaced with a fresh one, and put on the old airdam, which got hammered out.
Off to eEuroparts.com to find a new engine mount...